Health and Social Care Advocacy

Click here to make a referral

What do we do?
We provide free, independent and confidential
health and social care advocacy support to adults in Blackpool who are vulnerable or disadvantaged.

What is Health and Social Care Advocacy?
Advocacy is a way of supporting people to enable them to have their voice heard, and their views and wishes made known to others. Advocates work with you to ensure you are treated fairly and have your rights upheld and respected. Our Health and Social Care Advocacy service only applies to those who have the mental capacity to instruct an advocate, and are not under a section.

We can help you with:
Accessing social services and getting a social worker
Making changes to your health and social care services because you are unhappy
Helping you through Community Care Assessments
Preparing for and attending a medical appointment
Helping you talk to professionals, and attending meetings about your health and social care needs
Getting your views heard with the Community Mental Health Team (CMHT)
Support you during a Care Programme Approach (CPA) meeting (not including people who have been sectioned under the Mental Health Act)
Discussing your options on discharge from hospital
Making a formal complaint regarding a medical or social care professional

An advocate will ensure that:
Your voice and views are heard
You know what your options are and support you to make decisions and act on information and advice
You are receiving fair and equal treatment

Who can access the service?
The service is available to Blackpool residents aged 18 and over who feel they need help with any matters concerning their health (including mental health) and social care needs

Areas we cannot provide advocacy support for…
 Long Term Support
 Employment Issues
Financial Issues
Private Legal Disputes
An advocate is not
A legal expert
An advice giver (but can seek out appropriate advice and professional knowledge on your behalf and with you)
There to judge you or any situation you might be in

Please note
:  Parents whose child is subject to a child protection plan or care proceedings can only access our advocacy support if they have their own social worker or care co-ordinator.

If you require further information regarding our service or are unsure if you can make a referral we are happy to help. To speak to a member of the advocacy team please call 0300 32 32 100 (option 2 – local rate call).

Useful Links
Blackpool Council – Adult Social Services
» Blackpool Citizens Advice Bureau
» Adviceguide – self help from Citizens Advice
» NHS Blackpool Clinical Commissioning Group – Mental Health Information
» NHS Choices

This service is funded by Blackpool Council