Health Complaints

Click here to make a referral

NHS medical care and treatment often goes very well, but occasionally things go wrong, and you may want to complain.

What do we do?
We offer free, independent and confidential support and advice through NHS complaints procedures for Blackpool residents.

Going through these procedures can help to bring together the accountable professionals and work towards resolving your complaint. However, going through this process alone can seem daunting, and so we’re here to help.

What can we do for you:
 Give you information and advice on how to write a complaint
 Provide you with template letters and forms
 Help put together all the issues you wish to raise
• Write formal letters regarding your complaint
• Help prepare for meetings and attend them with you
 Give you the opportunity to speak confidentially to someone who is independent of the NHS
• Meet you face to face to discuss your complaint
 Help you to find out the progress of your complaint
• Put you in touch with other people or services that may be able to help you

How to refer to our service:
Make a referral here


Frequently Asked Questions

Can I complain on behalf of someone else?
Yes. You can complain on behalf of a friend or relative but they will need to agree this in writing. If the person you are complaining for lacks capacity around this issue, the organisation you are complaining to will check the patient’s capacity before responding to the complaint. If the person you are complaining for has died, you are able to make a complaint on their behalf.

A child can also make a complaint. You can only complain on behalf of a child under the age of 18 if the organisation you are complaining to is confident the child cannot make the complaint themselves.

Can I receive any financial compensation?
No. Our service does not support people seeking any financial compensation. If you would like any assistance in this, The Law Society may be able to help you with this process.

Does the complaints procedure cover non-NHS services?
No, unless your treatment was funded by the NHS (e.g a private hospital carrying out a procedure that was paid for by the NHS). The NHS complaints procedure does not cover cases in which you wish to complain about a regulator, private health services, report professional misconduct or raise concerns about a care home or social care service.

If you wish to complain about a private service you received which was not paid for by the NHS, you must go through that service’s own complaints procedure. Unfortunately, Empowerment are unable to support with this.

What if I am not happy with the outcome?
If your complaint cannot be resolved, Empowerment can assist you with taking the complaint to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman. They can look again at your complaint independently of the service the complaint is about. Abuse

This service is funded by Blackpool Council.